May 9 to 12, 2023 – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. (Tue.-Fri.)
Price for the 4 days: 150$
*Drop-in class rate: n/a – full week registration only
Language of instruction: English
Capacity : 23 people, priority for full week attendance
Open to artists of all disciplines
REGISTER FOR THE FULL WEEK >
By registering for a workshop, you agree to cancel your participation if you have symptoms or suspect you may have COVID-19. Please read the Participant Engagement before registering. Thank you!
The main focus of this workshop is a conscious research of our body/mind/soul unification, so we can deeply enjoy the intrinsic process of metamorphosis in the spirit of dance.
Through a continuous exploration of our past collective memories, we can strike a vein of abundant creative resources, enriching the essence of our dance and life.
Everything is in resonance with each other.
Body Resonance is a key to opening up the doors of an ever-changing world inside and outside of ourselves, which helps the body to unfold its potentials, holding them up until they shine and tremble.
Through a dialogue with our body, we can learn to be moved by inner and outer forces, thus realizing we are a part of the wholeness.
A dance of metamorphosis inevitably appears.
My workshop content which can be made accessible to the people with physical disability:
- – Release exercises, inspired by Noguchi Taiso (Gymnastics), using a sense of gravity. They can be done either standing, sitting or on a chair.
– Breathing exercises, with sounds and voice, but they are also doable without any sound.
– Organic movement, where the participants can adjust the position, dimension, speed and quantity according to their physicality.
The workshop is:
- – A combination of images and physical movements with exercises such as the figure 8, waves, drawing a circle with each body parts.
– A structured improvisation and choreography which can be adapted according to the physical level that I can guide.
Yumiko Yoshioka is a Japanese Butoh dancer, dance teacher and choreographer originally from Tokyo. Since 1988 she has been based in Berlin.
Yumiko was a former member of Ariadone from 1974 to 1982, the first female Butoh company. In 1978, she performed with Carlotta Ikeda and Ko Murobushi in Paris Le Dernier Eden- Porte de L’Au-Delà, the very first Butoh performance to be presented in a public theatre outside Japan.
Between 1995 – 2016 she was a core member of TEN PEN CHii Art Labor, an interdisciplinary and experimental art formation as a dancer and a choreographer along with Joachim Manger (visual artist) and Zam Johnson (composer and musician) .
Since 2016 she has been working as a solo dancer and in many collaborations with international artists. Dancers encourage Yumiko to unfold her own personal style of dancing and choreography.